Black olives are a popular ingredient in all sorts of foods, from salads, to pizzas, and even in desserts. They’re a salty treat that can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet.
But what is the white stuff on black olives? And why does it look like that?
The white stuff on black olives is actually mold. While some people may find this to be disgusting, there really isn’t anything wrong with eating these olives.
Mold is just a fungus that grows in damp environments, such as the inside of an olive jar. It’s not harmful and won’t make you sick if you eat it. The only thing to worry about is eating moldy food if you have allergies or asthma, since it could trigger an allergic reaction or breathing problems.
Some people prefer to rinse off their black olives before eating them because they don’t like the way they look or taste after they’ve been sitting around for awhile. Rinsing them will get rid of some of that white stuff on black olives but won’t completely eliminate it from your dish.
Last modified: November 27, 2022