The Duquesne Incline is a steep incline railway in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States, which has been in operation since 1877. It is located on the north side of Mount Washington where it offers views of the Downtown area and the city’s three rivers.
The Duquesne Incline was built by William H. VanSweringen and James H. McArdle as part of their Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad (PF&C). The incline was designed by Charles Ellet, who also designed the Monongahela incline and who also designed several other inclines across the country. The construction contract was awarded to J.D. Jones & Co., and work began in 1875 with completion in 1877 at a total cost of $350,000 ($7 million today).
The Duquesne Incline is one of only three remaining inclines from an original network of over 300 that once served Pittsburgh’s hillsides. It is still owned by Duquesne University but operated by independent company Pittsburgh Interurban Railroad Company (PIRC). PIRC operates two other inclines: Monongahela Incline and South Side Incline; they also own one funicular: Mount Royal.
Last modified: September 12, 2022