Citronella candles are natural, but they contain a chemical called thymol. Thymol is found in the oil of the peppermint plant and can cause symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as shortness of breath, wheezing and coughing.
If you have any of these symptoms with citronella candles, stop using them immediately, then seek medical attention if your symptoms persist for more than 24 hours after exposure.
People who are sensitive to this chemical should avoid using citronella candles because they contain it. Other people may be sensitive but not know it. They may think that they’re allergic to peppermint, when in fact they’re reacting to another ingredient in the candle.
Last modified: September 19, 2022